If you want to identify your data controller please see the “Who is my data controller” section below.
- Useful definitions for different types of users of our Services
To better understand what information is most relevant to you, see the following useful definitions.
You created an Instructor account with ExamBuilder and are the account owner. You log in to the Instructor Portal – https://instructor.exambuilder.com – to create exams or training, and have permission to create student accounts or other Instructor accounts (Training Staff) with limited permissions (role-based access control).
An ExamBuilder Instructor account was created for you by the account owner or an Instructor with Super User permissions. You collaborate on, or review exams, training, or results within an account that was shared with you. These accounts are typically used by proctors or regional managers.
You have received an exam or training material powered by ExamBuilder and you log in to the Student/Employee Portal using the URL https://testing.exambuilder.com.
You are just visiting our website because you are interested in knowing more about the services we provide.
- The information we collect
- 3.1. What we store for Account Owners and Training Staff
- When you sign up for ExamBuilder, we ask for your:
- Name. It is important to know who the account owner is for security
- Company name. In case someone asks for super user access we need to verify the request for security. This happens when someone leaves a company and another person takes over the account
- Email address. To send you invoices.
- Country. To personalize the groups section
As an e-learning company we store your data that may include: exam content, student/employee names, and training materials. ExamBuilder is the custodian of your data; you are owner! We only access your data under the following circumstances:
- You called tech support and we need to log in to your account to resolve an issue
- A bug was reported that cannot be recreated in one of our developer accounts
When you write to us with a question or to ask for help, we keep that correspondence, and the email address, for future reference. When you browse our marketing pages, we track that for statistical purposes or to analyze the most viewed pages and conversion rates based on search terms.
EXAMBUILDER DOES NOT SHARE YOUR INFORMATION WITH ANY THIRD PARTIES! There are no ads on the site; the business model is based on paid subscriptions, not advertisers. Any information provided stays on the ExamBuilder servers while your account is active.
We need to use your account data to run your account, provide you with services, bill you for our services, provide you with customer support, and contact you about your service or account. We occasionally send you communications of a transactional nature (e.g. service-related announcements, billing-related matters, changes to our services or policies, a welcome email when you first register). You cannot opt out of these communications since they are required to provide our services to you.
- 3.2. What we store for Examinees Student accounts can be created by training departments, or, by students themselves who self-register for the system.
Here is what we store:
- Name (required). This can be anonymous or a code, but it is not recommended since training departments often need to look up users by name
- Student ID (required). This is a unique identifier for your account that can be an email address but doesn’t have to be. The advantage to using an email address is that students can receive exam invitations by email
- Photo (optional). Student photos are only viewed by training departments in the instructor portal when accessing a student account or viewing reports. Photos are never used for any other purpose.
- Groups (optional). Some training departments ask students to group themselves by demographic region or job function
We also store your IP address security purposes.
As an e-learning company we store details about the exams that you have taken (score and date of completion), responses to specific questions, and the training that you have viewed. This can only be viewed by the training department that created the content and is never shared outside of that context.
ExamBuilder does not share your information with any third parties! There are no ads on the site; the business model is based on paid subscriptions, not advertisers. Any information provided stays on the ExamBuilder servers while your account is active.
- How we use the information we collectWe process personal data about you in order to:
- Fulfill our contractual responsibility to deliver the services to you;
- To pursue ExamBuilder’s legitimate interests of:
- improving service experience; and
- developing new products and service features.
- Identify your web browser so you don’t have to enter your username and password on every single screen
- Create a signature that is required to access media (images and video) on our media server
- For more information please read our Cookies Policy.
We use your contact information to respond to questions that you ask us, provide tech support, and send you information as part of the service, such as exam results that you requested and can easily opt out of. We also use your email address to send you scheduled maintenance times and infrequent marketing information. Marketing information always has an “unsubscribe” link in the communication.
We use device data both to troubleshoot problems with our service and to make improvements to it. We also infer your geographic location based on your IP address. We collect this to help us improve your service experience by evaluating peak usage times to help us plan maintenance. We also diagnose specific device/browser usage in order to optimize how the website looks in a particular browser and to ensure the service operates optimally and as it should in different browsing environments.
We use log data for many different business purposes including:
- To monitor abuse;
- To create new services, features, content or make recommendations;
- To track behavior at the aggregate/anonymous level to identify and understand trends in the various interactions with our services;
- To fix bugs and troubleshoot product functionality.
Your IP address can be used to determine where an unknown/unauthorized access may have occurred in your account (abuse monitoring).
We use referral information to track the success of our integrations and referral processes.
We may disclose your Personal Data if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to (i) comply with a legal obligation or lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements, (ii) protect and defend the rights or property of ExamBuilder, (iii) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of the Services or the public, or (iv) protect against legal liability.
To respond to legal requests or prevent fraud, we may need to use and disclose information or data we hold about you. If we receive a subpoena or other legal request, we may need to inspect the data we hold to determine how to respond. In addition, we may use your data to:
- Prevent potentially illegal activities;
- Screen for and prevent undesirable or abusive activity. For example, we have automated systems that screen content for phishing activities, spam, and fraud.
- Information we share: partners and integrations
We do not share your information or data with third parties outside ExamBuilder except in the following limited circumstances:
- If you are an instructor that is part of an Enterprise account using ExamBuilder, your account information and data will be shared with the primary administrator(s) and your exam data may also be visible to other members in your team with whom you share your surveys or with whom you collaborate;
- To help us provide certain aspects of our services we use our affiliates and trusted key partners – in particular, we engage third parties to:
- Store images, videos, PDF files and other media files. The file names are anonymized and cannot be tracked to you;
- facilitate customers in making credit card payments;
- deliver and help us track our marketing and advertising content;
- help us track website conversion success metrics.
- To identify your browser so you don’t have to log in with your username and password on every screen;
- To create a signed cookie to deliver anonymized media content to you (images, PDFs, videos, and audio) in a secure way;
- Google Analytics. This gives us anonymous, aggregate statistics which are used for marketing purposes. If you do not wish to participate in Google Analytics, you may also download the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on.
ExamBuilder is NOT ad driven. Cookies are NOT used for advertising purposes, or for identifying demographic data.
You can choose to remove or disable cookies via your browser settings.
- Data Retention
If you hold an account with ExamBuilder we do not delete the data in your account while your account is in good standing. You are responsible for and control the time periods for which you retain this data. There are controls in your account where you can delete data at the account level (all data in your account) and at the item level (specific exams, training content, or examinees). If you are an Examinee, you will need to ask your training department or instructor how long your responses will be stored in ExamBuilder.
We also describe the expiry periods for cookies on our websites in our Cookies Policy.
- Use of the Site by Children
The Site is not directed to children under the age of 16 (who reside in the EU, the European Economic Area or Switzerland) and children under the age of 13 (who reside in the United States). Children under the applicable minimum age should not provide personal information through the Site. If it comes to our attention that we have collected personal data from a Minor, we may delete this information without notice. If you become aware that a child has provided us with personal information, please contact customer support.
- Transfer of Data to Another Country
ExamBuilder participates in and has certified its compliance with the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield. ExamBuilder is committed to subjecting all personal information and data received from European Union (EU) member countries and Switzerland, in reliance on the Privacy Shield Framework, to the Framework’s applicable Principles. To learn more about the Privacy Shield Framework, visit the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Privacy Shield List. https://www.privacyshield.gov.
ExamBuilder complies with the Privacy Shield Principles for all onward transfers of personal data from the EU and Switzerland, including the onward transfer liability provisions.
- GDPR and Privacy Shield
The European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) took effect on May 25, 2018, and ExamBuilder is proud that we are 100% compliant. While GDPR is focused on Europe, we believe all ExamBuilder customers have the same rights and deserve these top-level protection standards. We respect your privacy and consider your personal information sacred.
The GDPR extends the reach of the European Union’s data protection laws and establishes many new requirements for organizations that fall under its governing umbrella. And we are happy to report that, while the regulation is focused on the European Union, ExamBuilder has updated systems and processes to ensure compliance and to ensure that all of our users receive the same protections.
ExamBuilder commits to cooperate with EU data protection authorities (DPAs) and the Swiss Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner (FDPIC) and comply with the advice given by such authorities with regard to human resources data transferred from the EU and Switzerland in the context of the employment relationship.
In compliance with the Privacy Shield Principles, ExamBuilder commits to resolve complaints about our collection or use of your personal information. EU and Swiss individuals with inquiries or complaints regarding our Privacy Shield policy should first contact ExamBuilder at: firstname.lastname@example.org
ExamBuilder has further committed to refer unresolved privacy complaints under the Privacy Shield Principles to an independent dispute resolution mechanism, the BBB EU PRIVACY SHIELD. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint, or if your complaint is not satisfactorily addressed, please visit www.bbb.org/EU-privacy-shield/for-eu-consumers for more information and to file a complaint. This service is provided free of charge to you.
If your Privacy Shield complaint cannot be resolved through the above channels, under certain conditions, you may invoke binding arbitration for some residual claims not resolved by other redress mechanisms. See Privacy Shield Annex 1 at https://www.privacyshield.gov/article?id=ANNEX-I-introduction
Within the scope of our authorization to do so, and in accordance with our commitments under the Privacy Shield, ExamBuilder will provide individuals access to personal data about them. ExamBuilder also will take reasonable steps to enable individuals to correct, amend, or delete personal data that is demonstrated to be inaccurate.
ExamBuilder is responsible for the processing of personal data it receives, under the Privacy Shield Framework, and subsequently transfers to a third party acting as an agent on its behalf. ExamBuilder complies with the Privacy Shield Principles for all onward transfers of personal data from the EU, including the onward transfer liability provisions.
- Who is my data controller?
All exam response data at an individual level is controlled by the Account Owner or Training Staff. ExamBuilder can be a data controller of data submitted by Examinees only in the very limited ways described in the section here called “How we use the information we collect.”
- Your rights
Some of you (in particular, European users and those whose information we receive under the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield) have certain legal rights to obtain information about whether we hold personal information about them, to access personal information we hold about them, and to obtain its correction, update, amendment or deletion in appropriate circumstances. Some of these rights may be subject to some exceptions or limitations. We will respond to your request to exercise these rights within a reasonable time (and in all cases within 30 days of receiving a request).
- 13.1. Summary of rights as it pertains to Account Owners.
Where you hold an account with any ExamBuilder service, you are entitled to a copy of all personal data which we hold in relation to you. You are also entitled to request that we restrict how we use your data or object to some aspect of our treatment of your data.
ExamBuilder allows you to access all of your data in your own account when you log in and export your own data from our system in a variety of formats so that you can back it up or use it with other applications.
- 13.2. Summary of rights as it pertains to Training Staff and Examinees.
Where you have responded to an exam sent to you by an Instructor or Training Department using the ExamBuilder service, you will need to reach out directly to that organization to discuss managing, deleting, accessing, restricting access to or otherwise withdrawing consent for use of, the information which you provided to them in your responses. ExamBuilder does not control your exam data and, accordingly, is not in a position to directly handle these requests in relation to that data. If you are having difficulties finding your Instructor or Training Department you can contact us through our support team and we will try our best to help you.
- 13.3. Summary of rights as it pertains to Website visitors.
- 13.4. Data access rights.
If you are the Account Owner you may request access to your personally identifiable information and information about our collection, use and disclosure of that information by using the contact form. To provide our service, a minimum amount of personally identifiable information is required. If you are Training Staff that is part of an Enterprise account using ExamBuilder or an Examinee who has responded to an exam sent to you using the ExamBuilder service, you will need to reach out directly to the Account Owner to ask for this information.
Unless prohibited by law or legal process, you will be given reasonable access to your personally identifiable information, entitlement to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information, and the ability to have it amended as appropriate. You can help us maintain the accuracy of your personally identifiable information by notifying us of any changes to it.
- 13.5. Right to restrict processing.
ExamBuilder requires consent to the processing of your personal information in order to provide our service. The minimum amount of personal information required is the Account Owner’s name, email address and contact information for billing. If you have provided your consent to the processing of your personal information by ExamBuilder, you may withdraw your consent at any time by cancelling your account. Please note that the withdrawal of your consent does not affect the lawfulness of any processing activities based on such consent before its withdrawal. Additionally, in some jurisdictions, applicable law may give you the right to limit the ways in which we use your personal information, in particular where (i) you contest the accuracy of your personal information; (ii) the processing is unlawful and you oppose the erasure of your personal information; (iii) we no longer need your personal information for the purposes of the processing, but you require the information for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims.
If you are Training Staff or an Examinee, you must contact your Account Owner to if you wish to withdraw your consent for information processing. If you cannot reach your Account Owner or do not get a satisfactory response you can contact ExamBuilder directly by using the contact form on our website.
- 13.6. Right to object to processing.
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to require ExamBuilder not to process your personal information for certain specific purposes where such processing is based on legitimate interest. If you object to such processing and:
- You are the Account Owner you must cancel your account at which time ExamBuilder will no longer process your personal information for these purposes unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for such processing or such processing is required for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims;
- You are Training Staff or an Examinee you must contact your Account Owner to if you object to the processing of your personal information. If you cannot reach your Account Owner or do not get a satisfactory response you can contact ExamBuilder directly by using the contact form on our website.
ExamBuilder only uses your personal information for marketing purposes to infrequently advise you of new features to our service. Your personal information is never shared with third parties for marketing purposes.
- 13.7. Right to rectification.
In some jurisdictions, you have the right to ask us to correct inaccurate or incomplete personal information concerning you (and which you cannot update yourself within your ExamBuilder account).
- 13.8. Right to erasure.
If you are the Account Owner you have the right to request erasure of your personal information. To do so, you must contact us and ask us to delete your account since a minimum amount of personal information is required to provide our service.
For Training Staff and Examinees, you must contact the Account Owner to request erasure of your personal information. If you can not reach the Account Owner you can contact ExamBuilder directly by using the Contact form on our website.
- 13.9. Right to withdraw consent.
If you the Account Owner, we process your data for:
- Notification of maintenance and website updates
You have the right to withdraw consent for holding and processing your personal information. To do so, you must contact us and ask us to delete your account since a minimum amount of personal information is required to provide our service.
For Training Staff and Examinees, you must contact the Account Owner to withdraw consent of holding and processing your personal information. If you cannot reach the Account Owner you can contact ExamBuilder directly by using the Contact form on our website.
ExamBuilder does not sell or share your personal information with any third parties.
- 13.10. Right to data portability.
You have the right to data portability which allows you to take your content with you if you leave ExamBuilder.
Account Owners and Training Staff can print their exams, or export student lists or exam results to Excel or PDF.
Examinees can export their exam results from the Results Section in their portal.
- 13.1. Summary of rights as it pertains to Account Owners.
- Exercising your rights
Our Contact Information for Privacy Inquiries
157 Columbus Avenue
New York, NY 10023